|Name: MA Guang 馬光||Nationality: Chinese|
|Gender: Male||Date of Birth: 1985|
|Email: Email Me|
|Address: School of History and Culture, Shandong University, Ji’nan, China
Jan. 2020, Professor, School of History and Culture at Shandong University
Dec. 2016—Dec. 2019, Associate researcher, School of History and Culture at Shandong University, China
- Oct. 2012–Oct, 2016, PhD, Ghent University & University of Salzburg
- 2010–present, PhD student, University of Macau, China
- 2008–Nov. 2010, M.A., University of Macau, China
- 2004–Jul. 2008, B.A. , Lanzhou University, China
Main focus of research
- East Asian maritime history during the Yuan-Ming transition
- History of Macao and Opium history in modern China
- “The Shandong Peninsula in East Asian Maritime History During the Yuan-Ming Transition”, PhD dissertation, 2016.
- “Conflicts of Interest: The Opium Problem in Guangdong, 1858–1917”, Master’s thesis, University of Macau, Nov. 2010.
Papers (in English)
- “Tributary Ceremony and National Security: A Reassessment of Wokou Diplomacy between China and Japan in the early Ming Dynasty”, Journal of Asian History (A&HCI), 2017, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 27-54.
- “The Shandong Peninsula in Northeast Asian Maritime History during the Yuan-Ming Transition”, Crossroads – Studies on the History of Exchange Relations in the East Asian World (peer reviewed journal), Vol. 11, 2015, pp. 63-83.
- “Wokou Raiding Activities and the Coastal Defence System of Shandong in the early Ming Dynasty”, National Maritime Research, Vol. 11, 2015, pp. 73-108.
Papers (in Chinese)
- “The Sino-Japanese Relations during the Hongwu Emperor’s Reign (1368–1398)”, Journal of Literature, History & Philosophy, Iss. 5, 2019, pp. 41–55.
- “Open Market, Natural Disasters, Climate Change, and the Wokou in Yuan China”, Journal of Tsinghua University (Philosophy and Social Sciences) (CSSCI), Vol. 5, 2018, pp. 61–73.
- Reprinted by China University Academic Abstracts, Vol. 6, 2018.
- Reprinted by New China Abstracts (Xinhua wenzhai, 新华文摘), Vol. 24, 2018.
- Reprinted by History of Song, Liao, Jin and Yuan Dynasties, China Social Science Excellence, Vol. 1, 2019.
- “Wokou Problems and the Established Time of Coastal Guards and Battalions in Early Ming Shandong”, Academic Research (CSSCI), Vol. 4, 2018, pp. 124–132.
- “Pirates, Wokou and Coastal Defense in Shandong in the Yuan and Ming Dynasties”, Studies in Maritime History (CSSCI), Vol. 9, 2016, pp. 282-325.
- “Smuggling and Anti-Smuggling in the Pearl River Delta of China in the Late Qing Dynasty”, Modern Chinese History Studies (CSSCI), Vol. 6, Dec. 2014, pp. 101-123.
- “Monopoly System of Taipa and Coloane and Its Influence in the Late Qing Dynasty”, Haidao huilan, Vol. 6, Jul. 2014, pp. 32-36.
- “The Importation and Taxation of Foreign Opium in Guangdong in the Late Qing and Early Republican China”, National Maritime Research, Vol. 6, 2014, pp. 103-112.
- “The Evolution and Development of Taipa and Coloane Economy”, Macau Studies, Vol. 64, Apr. 2012, pp. 177-189.
- “The History of Lottery Industry before the Revolution of 1911”, second author, in Li Xiangyu, ed.,The Conference Proceedings of the Revolution of 1911 and Macau, Macau: Macau Polytechnic Institute, Apr. 2012, pp. 480-491.
- “The Opium Monopoly, Smoking and Prohibition in Modern Macau”, in Zeng Jun, ed., Literature, History and Sociology: Proceedings of the First International Conference of Literature, History and Sociology in Northeast Asia for Graduate Students, Shanghai University Press, Jan. 2012, pp. 90-97.
- “Ten Pieces of Newly Discovered Historical Materials Relating to Modern Macau History”, Macau History Studies, 10, Nov. 2011, pp. 209-217.
- “Orientalism and Post-colonialism”, Journal of Macau Documentation and Information, Vol. 5, Oct. 2011, pp. 181-188
- “Review on The Chronicle of Macau”, China Book Business Report, Feb. 2011.
- “The Opium Monopoly in Macau, 1846–1946”, Macau History Studies, Vol. 9, Nov. 2010, pp. 142-159.
- “Opium Trade, Smuggling and Anti-smuggling in the Pearl River Delta: Case Study of Xinxiang Six Customs Stations, 1866–1899”, Macau Studies, Vol. 55, Dec. 2009, pp. 127-143.
- “Study on the Behavior of Zeng Guofan’s Five Suicides”, the 9th Zhao Lisheng Paper Award in Lanzhou University in Dec. 2005, Journal of Macau Literature and Information, Vol. 1, Nov. 2009, pp. 107-115.
- “Study on Suicides in Wars in Chinese Traditional Society: Case Study on Phenomena of Officials’ Suicides in the Reign of Emperor Xianfeng”, the 11th Zhao Lisheng Paper Award in Lanzhou University in Dec. 2007, Shixue zongheng, Vol. 24, Mar. 2008.
- “The Shandong Peninsula in East Asian Maritime History During the Yuan-Ming Transition”, supported by Fist-Class Discipline Program of Shandong University, Oct. 2018–present, PI.
- “Shandong Maritime History in Global History in the Yuan and Ming Dynasties”, supported by Chinese Fund for the Humanities and Social Sciences, Sept. 2018–present, PI.
- “Studies on China’s Maritime History in the Yuan and Ming Dynasties”, supported by Distinguished Young Scholar of Shandong University program, Jul. 2018–Jun. 2023, PI.
- Social Sciences Planned Research Project of Shandong Province, March 2018–present, PI.
- “Shandong Maritime History during the Yuan-Ming Transition from the Perspective of Global History”, supported by China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, May 2017–present, PI.
- “The Shandong Peninsula Maritime History during the Early Ming Dynasty”, supported by Fundamental Research Funds of Shandong University, April 2017–present, PI.
- Participant in Prof. Angela Schottenhammer’s research project “Seafaring, Trade, and Knowledge Transfer: Maritime Politics and Commerce in Early Middle Period to Early Modern China”, grant from Gerda Henkel Stiftung, Germany, Jan. 2014–present.
- Participant in Prof. Angela Schottenhammer’s research project “China’s Maritime Commerce and Naval Activities in Northeast Asia during the Yuan-Ming Rupture”, grant from BOF, Ghent University of Belgium, and MCRI (Major Collaborative Research Initiative, Canada), Oct. 2012–present.
- Participant in Prof. Tang Kaijian’s research project “The Industry History in Modern Macau”, grant from the Cultural Affairs Bureau of Macau, Sept. 2011–Aug. 2012.
- Participant in Prof. Tang Kaijian’s research project “The History of Marriage Customs in Macau”, grant from the Cultural Affairs Bureau of Macau, Jan.–Oct. 2011.
- Participant in Prof. Tang Kaijian’s research project “Research on the Development and Evolution of Modern Macau City”, grant from University of Macau, Jun. 2010–Feb. 2012.
- “An Investigation of the Status of High School Students Mental Health in Yuzhong County, Gansu Province”, funded by Lanzhou University in the Innovation and Pioneering Projects, Apr. 2007.
- “An Investigation of Schistosomiasis Harm to Citizens in Yongsheng County, Lijiang City, Yunnan Province”, funded by Lanzhou University, and rewarded with Excellent Team and Excellent Individual in Summer Vacation Social Practice, Nov. 2006.
- 2018.10, second prize for Outstanding Research Achievement in the Humanities and Social Sciences of Higher Education in Shandong Province.
- 2018.06, third prize for Outstanding Research Achievement in the Social Sciences in Shandong Province.
Scholarships Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad, 2016. PhD Scholarship, Ghent University, 2012–2016. PhD Scholarship, University of Macau, 2011. PhD Scholarship, University of Macau, 2010. Postgraduate Scholarship, University of Macau, 2009. Postgraduate Scholarship, University of Macau, 2008. National Scholarship, People’s Republic of China, 2006. Second Class Scholarship, Lanzhou University, 2006. Xiao Long Scholarship (three years), Lanzhou University, 2006–2008. Second Class Scholarship, Lanzhou University, 2005. Third Class Scholarship, Lanzhou University, 2004. Conferences and lecture Attended World History Association, 25th Annual Conference, “Global Conflict and Transformation of the Global Countryside”, Ghent University, Belgium, July 2-5, 2016. Attended 2015 ISSCO Conference “East Asia and the Chinese Overseas”, Seoul National University, Korea, May 28–30, 2015. Attended the “2nd EurasiaTrajeco conference: Connected Histories—Trading Networks Across the Eurasian Continent: Structures, Practices, and Socio-economic Impact”, École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Paris, Nov. 28–29, 2014. Attended the “Conference on History of Sino-foreign Relations from a Global Perspective” at Zhengzhou, He’nan Province, China, Oct. 11–12, 2014. Attended the “Coastal Areas and Navigation in Chinese History Conference” at Quanzhou, Fujian Province, China, Oct. 29–30, 2013. Attended the “International Conference of Seas, Port City, and Hinderland: the Communication and Social Change in East Asia from the Nineteenth Century” at Fudan University, Shanghai, China, Oct. 19–20, 2013. Attended “The European Impact on the Indian Ocean World International Conference” at McGill University, Canada, Sept. 9–10, 2013. Attended the “Revolution of 1911 and Macau” in Macau, and made a presentation of “The History of Lottery Industry around the Revolution of 1911”, Sept. 18–19, 2011. Attended the “First International Conference of Literature, History and Sociology in Northeast Asia for Graduate Students” in Shanghai, and won the outstanding paper award, Apr. 2–3, 2011. Attended the “Macaology and Historical Materials relating to World Heritage” in Macau, Sept. 19–20, 2010. Made a public lecture on “Secret Society, Pirates, and Opium Dens in Macau” with Prof. Robert J. Antony, organized by Macau government, Aug. 2010. Attended the “International Conference on Regional Culture of Macau and China” in Macau, and made a presentation, Nov. 26–27, 2009. Languages: Chinese (mother tongue) English Summer schools Attended the workshop on “E-Textology and Literature and History Research” at East China Normal University, Shanghai, Aug. 22–31, 2012 Attended the Advanced Class for “Research Work on History and Geography” at Fudan University, Shanghai, Jul. 7–17, 2010 Social experience and extracurricular activities Joined Macau Documentation and Information Society, May 2009 Took part in preparation work for academic conference by the Department of History of Macau University four times, 2008–2012 Made an investigation of the status of high school students’ mental health in Yuzhong County, Gansu Province, Apr.–Nov. 2007 By bicycle traveled from Chengdu, Shangrila, Dali, etc. for about 2,000 kilometers, and made an investigation of folk customs along the road, Jul.–Aug. 2006 Made an investigation of schistosomiasis harm to citizens in Yongsheng County in Lijiang City, Mar.–Dec. 2006 Made a survey of the New Rural Cooperative medical system in Gangcha County, Qinghai Province, May 2006 Secretary-general of Cycling Association, and Excellent Member of Student Association of Lanzhou University, Mar.–Sept. 2006 Vice-monitor of the Sports Office of School of History and Culture, and Excellent Leader of Student Union of Lanzhou University, Sept. 2005–2006 Member of the Sports Office of School of History and Culture, and Excellent Youth League Member of Lanzhou University, Sept. 2004–2005 Sports games honors “The Best Athlete” in School of History and Culture of Lanzhou University for three consecutive years (the only one awarded in the school), 2005–2007 Championship in shot put, long jump, 110 meters hurdling, 4×100m relay race, etc., School of History and Culture, Lanzhou University, Apr. 2005–2007 Second prize of long jump, and third prize of shot put in Freshmen Games at Lanzhou University, Oct. 2004